Wednesday 28 May 2014

Egg collection and further news...

So just a quick blog to document the events of the past couple of days! Jason and I left at 7.00am yesterday to travel to Nottingham for the egg collection. We arrived at 8.20am and was soon after taken down to prepare for the procedure. I was told that my egg collection was to be done by Dr Mohammad. So clad in my hospital gown and clogs I walked down to theatre (feeling very hungry and thirsty as I had to be starved for 6 hours prior to the procedure). I was then introduced to the anesthetist and Dr Mohammad, a cannula was put in the back of my hand and next minute I was out!

I woke up in the recovery room feeling very drowsy and tired. Also I was in quite a lot of pain (not knowing at the time how many eggs had been collected). Jason was fetched from the waiting room and told me that I had been in theatre for over an hour! Eventually we got told by the nurse that 15 eggs had been collected!!! I now understood why I was in quite a lot of pain and had been gone for a long while. I ended up staying in recovery until 11.35am and went home with strict instructions to rest up. 

Once I got home I put my PJs on immediately and stuck to eating toast and drinking water only for the rest of the day. I knew from my previous experience of the egg collection that there was a large possibility of being sick again. I got to 6.30pm and I was sick! I was sick 3 times in total (exactly the same as last time) and my stomach seemed to be purging itself of all the drugs. It is now strongly evident that my stomach cannot take the sedation drugs! I went to bed at 10.00pm completely exhausted and slept through the whole night. 

When I woke up this morning I felt completely exhausted and my stomach still feels a bit precarious to say the least! I have only had toast, water and some crackers through the course of the morning. Apart from that I am not in any pain as such just feel a bit sore. 

Then I had a phone call from the embryologist at CARE Fertility updating us with the news on the eggs! All 15 eggs were mature but 10 eggs fertilised, so we have lost 5 eggs so far but we have now got 10 embryos! Last time we had only 4 embryos at this point so we are very very very blessed!!! I don't think its even sunk in for me yet!  

So over the course of the next few days we will have phone calls from the embryologist updating us on the progress of the embryos. Tomorrow I begin my Utrogestan pessaries to prepare for the embryo transfer (God willing). Then Friday the remaining embryos will have the biopsy to test for Huntington's disease. If there is to be an embryo transfer this will be on Sunday when we also will get the test results from the embryos. 

So now we must wait... Thank you so much for all the support and prayers! Please continue to pray for us <3 

No comments:

Post a Comment