Saturday 8 June 2013

The Beginning..

I am hoping by writing this blog that there is someone else out there that might be going through the same thing and could maybe give me some advice on how to cope!

There is no easy way to explain this extremely complicated story but I will start with the main fact - last year I was diagnosed with the Huntington's disease gene. At the time I found out about it I was only 18 and it was a huge thing to go through. Now here I am one year on a completely different person. I have completely  changed since the diagnosis, all I want to do now is to just get on with life and enjoy it!

So this year me and my husband are planning on having a child through a procedure called IVF/PGD. PGD stands for Pre-implantation genetic diagnosis (now that's a mouthful!) and it enables people to avoid passing their inherited condition to their potential children and the IVF part will hopefully get me pregnant! 

So far we have been referred to a clinic called CARE Fertility and we have our first appointment for the 19th June! I can barely think of anything else. I am so excited and nervous all at the same time!  

The first appointment involves a very long journey, seeing a Geneticist, a consultation with an IVF doctor and also a semen analysis from my husband and I have to have a transvaginal scan. That is the only part I am not really looking forward to and if anyone who has been through this has a story to share please contact me! 

Well anyhow that is the beginning of my journey and I hope to have much more to share soon :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment