Thursday 27 June 2013

The 'Strait' Gate..

I have just started to read The Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan and I must say I was very surprised at how good it is..

'Christian' is the protagonist of the allegory and he is journeying through the 'strait' gate  to get to the Celestial City for salvation. I love the thought of this 'strait' gate, the narrow path that leads towards Jesus. 

I imagine it as this long narrow country bridleway that is away from all the busyness and the noise but is peaceful and quiet. I imagine that for long stretches this path continues on in peaceful solitariness, surrounded by nature but then suddenly a large dual carriage motorway crosses your path and you have choice in front of you. You can stay on the 'strait' path or join the big motorway. The motorway is loud, busy and is full of people everywhere, dashing in front of one another and speeding towards their destination and it is easy to choose that path to join among the many. 

So which path do I choose? I choose the 'strait' gate which leads towards Jesus..


Matthew 7:13 'Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat: 14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it'. 

No comments:

Post a Comment