Monday 27 January 2014

Cetrotide, A&E and a second scan...

Well it has been an eventful weekend to say the least! I will rewind back to Saturday evening and my first injection of Cetrotide. It got to 7.00pm and we did the Menopur injection first of 150IU. All was going well so we moved onto the Cetrotide injection, we were told by the clinic to inject on the same side as the Menopur and no mention was made about how long a gap should be left between both injections so we did it immediately. The Cetrotide needle was quite a lot bigger than the Menopur and as Jay gave me the injection it was quite painful. A few minutes later quite a large red itchy rash came out around the injection site. Apart from that we had no other problems and I assumed everything had gone well. 

So I was watching TV and relaxing when about an hour and a half later sudden cramps occurred in my stomach and I began to feel hot. I went up to the toilet and had terrible diarrhea (please excuse the graphic detail haha!) I felt nauseous, light-headed and did not feel right at all. Jay tried to ring up Nottingham clinic but the line was dead. My initial worry was that I had Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome as the symptoms matched. We couldn't get hold of anyone at the clinic and we didn't know what to do! I didn't know how to treat myself so the only option was to go to A&E. We had already rang up the emergency 111 number and they suggested that we go to A&E. By this time it was about 11.00pm so mum, Jay and I piled into the car down to the hospital. Luckily it was quite empty in there and I got seen fairly quickly by a nurse, they gave me some Codeine for pain relief and put us in a room. We then had to wait for a doctor to see me, he came eventually at gone midnight, a young Chinese man. He was very understanding however he didn't seem to know anything about Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome or IVF in general. 

2 hours later, I had given a urine sample which came back normal and had been left in the room with Jay and mum to be monitored. I also had a lucky escape from what could have been a difficult blood test! A Jamaican woman come in to take my blood and took one look at my arm, then turned it over, looked at me and said 'You have no veins!' She seemed really reluctant to take my blood and luckily was relieved from her task by the arrival of the other nurse who said that the doctor didn't need my blood anymore. Finally we were discharged not knowing anymore than when we came in, however the pain relief had helped me a lot. 

We slept most of Sunday but around 1.00pm we rang up Nottingham clinic to try and find out what to do. Eventually we got hold of someone who explained that the phone line had gone down due to the storm we had in the day. Dr. Maruthini rang us back half an hour later and I explained everything that had happened. She then told me that it was definitely not OHSS as my blood test had come back with normal hormone levels. There were several things that could have possibly caused the diarrhea and stomach pains such as a virus (pure coincidence that it occurred on the first day of my Cetrotide) or in a very rare case I may well have had a reaction to it. Therefore Dr. Maruthini wanted me to try the Cetrotide again on Sunday evening, she set up that Karen (nurse) was to ring me to check it went well and if I had a bad reaction go straight to A&E. The evening came and Jay did both injections. It seemed even better this time as I had no reaction occur at the injection site. Karen rang and said that it most probably was a rare case of me reacting to it. 

So today we went for our second scan at Nottingham. I had another blood test and the scan went very well. We had a phone call later on to let us know that our next scan is Wednesday at 10.30am and my Menopur is now being increased to 225IU. Just about to have my injections for this evening... 

No comments:

Post a Comment