Tuesday 28 October 2014

Recovery...

Recovery so far has been longer and harder than I anticipated. It has been 19 long days since my egg collection and in previous cycles I would be well and truly back on my feet by now. This has not been the case with this cycle however. 

My period was due to arrive last week and the doctor expected me to be fully recovered after this had come and gone. I began to feel quite unwell on Monday last week, had a slight temperature, stomach ache, lost my appetite. My period arrived the next day and was extremely painful and heavy. This was to be expected and I spent most of the day on the sofa. I woke up on Wednesday feeling a little better but by lunchtime things suddenly turned. I started to feel quite nauseous and cold. Nothing seemed to work to make me feel better and by 2.00pm I started being sick. I was sick 3 times (just like I usually am after my egg collection and felt the same). My stomach was quite painful and I felt terrible. 

So my mum got me an emergency appointment at the doctors. After seeing me she wasn't happy at all and referred me to the hospital. It was a long couple of days - after blood tests and an examination a scan was called for. However we ended up staying in a ward overnight. 

The next morning I had a scan with the gynecologist and he said that I had a blood clot and bruising around the area which had bled during my egg collection. He said that it was very tender and most likely I had an infection which would explain why I felt so unwell. I was sent to another ward and eventually sent home with antibiotics for 5 days. 

After 5 days I am still bleeding. I went back to the doctors yesterday for a follow up appointment. He found from my blood test results taken at the hospital I was showing an infection at the time so another 5 days of antibiotics was prescribed. My urine sample taken yesterday shown no infection now so it has probably gone. 

I believe today I may well have passed the blood clot which was over the puncture wound so this could be a good step forward to recovery. However it is still a way off yet, I am still bleeding and won't finish the antibiotics till Saturday. I have booked another doctors appointment for Monday in hope for a referral back to the hospital for another transvaginal scan to check on the bruising and blood clot. Care Fertility did say this was advisable so I hope it can be done, even just for my own peace of mind! 

It has been a testing 19 days to say the least and I certainly have had a lot of experiences and things to overcome but I will be glad for full health again and to be able to get back to doing some 'normal' things again! 


No comments:

Post a Comment